Jobs & Internships
Finding a job, fellowship, or internship takes hard work, persistence, knowledge of the marketplace, and networking. To prepare for a job or internship search, you need to have a few tools. First, know your marketplace. Do some online research to find sectors or organizations where you might like to work. Then, prepare a sound resume that effectively and attractively highlights your skills and experiences along with any results you may have achieved. You will need to prepare an "elevator pitch" to quickly express your background and interests to someone who could possibly hire you. You should have business cards to hand to a network contact. And you should network, network, network!
To help you with your search, the Center maintains a password-protected database of current jobs and internships -- Symplicity -- with hundreds of posted positions in the public, private, and nonprofit sectors. New opportunities are added every week, so check back regularly!
Symplicity also allows you to post your profile and your current resume. Employers can search resumes by key words, such as a language skill or security clearance. If your resume is not there, employers cannot find you, so post your resume and update it as you add new skills and experiences over the course of your Georgetown studies. If an employer is doing a resume drop, you can load other documents as well, including reference letters, your transcripts, and writing samples.
The Center's resume and cover letter guides, along with other job search hand-outs, are loaded on the Symplicity system in the Documents Library. Our biweekly Career Bulletin is also available in this Library in case you miss the emailed version.
Symplicity is a valuable tool for you as you look for jobs and internships. We hope you will make the most of it! By the way, if you have forgotten your password, click on the "Forgot my Password" tab on the Symplicity website. An email will be generated to your web address with a new password.
- May 18, All day: AU Kogod School of Business: Emerging Markets Program
- May 20, All day: PLEN Women and International Policy Seminar
- May 21, 12pm-1pm: Georgetown Toastmasters Meeting
- May 21, All day: PLEN Women and International Policy Seminar
- May 22, All day: PLEN Women and International Policy Seminar
- May 23, 12:30pm-1:30pm: Battling Sexes – Gender Differences In Competition
- May 23, 5pm-7:30pm: Foreign Service Oral Assessment (FSOA) Information Session
- May 23, All day: PLEN Women and International Policy Seminar
- May 24, All day: PLEN Women and International Policy Seminar
- May 29, 2:30pm-3:30pm: Fulbright Webinar: Meet Some Alumni
- May 29, All day: Social Innovation Summit 2013 in NYC
- May 30, All day: Social Innovation Summit 2013 in NYC
- Jun 6, 6pm-9pm: Network after Work
- Jun 11, 9am-10:30am: U.S. Chamber of Commerce Hiring Our Heroes
- Jun 13, 12:30pm-1:30pm: ACS Webinar: Living and Working in Faith, Hope and Love
- Jun 13, 6:30pm-8:30pm: 4th Annual Biotechnology Panel Discussion & Networking Event
- Jun 18, 12:30pm-1:30pm: ACS Webinar: The Final Part of Your Business Plan
- Jun 20, 5pm-7:30pm: Foreign Service Oral Assessment (FSOA) Info Session